A friend of mine posted a rebuttal on her page a few days ago to a letter in an advice column stating that the writer was tired of her stay-at-home-mom friends never answering her emails and texts. She also stated that it seems that the SAHM just lays around all day. The rebuttal gave a time line of her day and I didn't really think it at all sounded like my day. The writer sounded more like a slave worker than a too-busy-to-answer-your-text-about-pickles mom. So, for fun I thought I would write out what I did the next day I was home alone with the kids all day. I almost didn't post this because it was actually the easiest, most relaxing day we have had in a while- no joke. I think it was because we have all been sick and today was the first day we felt well at all. I thought, "I could just do this another day and no one would ever know the difference," but I just couldn't. That's not living with integrity. So... here's a day in the life:
7:25 Wake up, my husband is in the shower- ugh! He may be completely unaware of my new resolution to get up and in the shower by 7:00 I made 3 days ago (that I may or may not make at least every 2 weeks). I made it when I had to have a show down with the gas man in my pajamas at 11:00 in the morning... if that doesn't humble you, then... well, we are just birds of a different feather. The man IS aware that I asked him to get me up at 7:00. I may kill him.
Start my 5 minute Psalm devotional.
7:40 Wake up again. Quick, "I'm sorry God for falling asleep on You... again" prayer
Brush teeth
Take sheets off the bed to wash- not part of my normal routine, but we have been sick with a nasty cold/sinus funk for several days. The 4 yr old blew her nose on my sheets 3 days ago and I just now feel well enough to care- gross, but true.
7:50 Head to go get in shower... Get distracted by laundry- swap out load. Hear kids.
Crawl in bed with the 4 yr old where she lets me rub her back until she is through, rolls over, gives me a sly look and a quick hug that she uses to slide out of bed with. I'll take what I can get from that one.
Crawl in bed with 2 yr old- lots of sweet hugs, kisses, and back scratching. Favorite quotes from this snuggle session: "hey you." "you could scratch *lifts back of shirt*" and "love you best"
8:10 Hubs cooking- he probably feels guilty.
Quick shower- I'm careful not to announce.
8:22 Sit down to breakfast- My husband truly is wonderful.
2 yr old takes 1/2 of my toast and 1/2 my sausage.
Daddy gone to work.
Put on my make-up. I'm on a roll!
Serious discussion with the 4 yr old going on 16 yr old over the use of less vs least.
Show down with boy child over eating stolen cheese toast.
Get out coffee cup- stop potential melt down with the fairy princess over her blanket lovingly named "Ball Animal"- I thought she was angry that it was in the washer. Apparently "she" was not finished reading her book- shame on me for not asking her first.
9:00 Boy Child spills milk on his very last drink.
Change his clothes and diaper- he finds a book for me to read while I am throwing the clothes in the hamper and diaper in the trash.
Read book and, as if on cue at the conclusion, I hear, "Momma, I'm done" from the bathroom.
Finish cleaning up breakfast.
Brew coffee. While coffee going, the dynamic duo both bring in books to read. As we sit down, I smell the boy... change diaper. He then refuses to put on the jeans that he just insisted on wearing... not worth it... new shorts.
9:20 Sit down to read books... they somehow keep multiplying, it's a miracle... coffee smells good.
9:35 Fix coffee while helping 2 yr old get out foam blocks
Glad I hid the Easter candy yesterday- even though I know where it is, I have to dig it out and I am rarely alone for more then 2 min.- not long enough to dig it out and eat it without getting caught. Yesterday... well, I may need to actually go buy them some more. I didn't feel good- don't judge me.
9:40 Sit down with now lukewarm coffee- dare the kids to even look at me...
Stare into space thinking nothing. Mindlessly look at Facebook. *Heaven*
9:49 Enter 2 yr old in princess hat and Cinderella shoes crying over the foam blocks.
Break up fight over foam blocks. Coffee break officially over.
10:00 We are all dressed and ready to head to the library (including putting the jeans back on the 2yr old). I have my keys, diaper bag with diapers, wipes, change of clothes, and sanitizers of all sorts, phone, purse.... no library books.
Round up library books from all walks of the house... one missing... 10 minute search with no avail... forget it.
10:10 Start putting on shoes and getting in the van to leave.
10:29 Crank van to leave for library.
10:58 Head to park.
There are two older and pleasant boys here this time- much better than last time when I had to make that approx. 12 yr old almost cry for nearly knocking my baby off the slide. I didn't think the going-on 16 yr old was paying attention until she later told another little girl that she "better be careful riding the tire swing with me. If you hurt me, my momma will me MAD."
Good "lessons" with the 2 yr old about opposites and the word direction and with the 4 yr old on the month of April, the word intentions, and the seasons. I am a champion homeschool mom.

11:30 Start to leave park after only 3 falls, approx. 12 ant bites, and no less than 6 heart attacks- those are mine.
11:42 Leave park.
11:45 Get home, wash hands, make a centerpiece for the dining table with our flowers from the park, turn on "Blue's Clues"
Start lunch.
Go to swap out laundry- blankets not dry, restart, ugh.
Realize show kids are watching is about time- regret not noticing this earlier because now I am going to have a million questions from the 4 yr old. Think about how a good homeschool mom wouldn't think that way. I stink at this. No time to worry about it... pork chops are burning.
Clean up foam blocks- regret not taking a picture of the city that was built in my kitchen.
2 yr old comes in- he's hot. Go to change back into shorts- he runs off in his diaper- whatever.
Unload dishwasher
*I read an article once in one of those parenting magazines designed to make us all feel like failures that said never use TV as a babysitter. Those people obviously never had children.
12:05 Husband home for lunch- get to hear some of my favorite sounds: kids giggling, him laughing, him reading books to them, and him having to answer a few of the 9,200 2- and 4-year-old questions I get everyday. Sweet. I love him!
Get a chance to text a friend back from an hour & 1/2 ago.
12:25 Sit down to eat lunch
Remember sheets that need to be dry for "rest time"- get up and swap out laundry
Eat
Put sheets on kid's beds while hubs plays with kids. I hate him.
1:00 Daddy heads back to work- tears by many. Time to get ready for "Rest Time"
In case you have never done this, it is truly a marathon event. You have to be combination drill sergeant, nurturer, clown, counselor, magician, and sandman. I personally think it should be considered an art.
1:30 Kids in bed- 4 yr old in panties and socks, 2 yr old fully dressed (in jeans)- I'll take what I can get. *note to self to uncover hot natured boy child later.
I am exhausted.
During my 3 verses of "Amazing Grace" I have issued 3 warnings for spankings. I feel like such a hypocrite. I lay down on the rug between their beds and consider crying or going to sleep. The boy child leans over his rail and says, "You not feel good mommy?" and offers me his beloved blanket. I kiss him on the forehead and tuck him back in bed where he falls asleep almost immediately.
I say a long, sincere prayer of thanksgiving and shut the door behind me feeling refreshed and smiling.
1:45 I round the corner where 3 loads of laundry to be folded and the lunch mess awaits. *sigh*
I answer another text that has been waiting an hour.
Start another load of laundry and rinse the lunch dishes.
1:55 My precious quiet time with my God.
2:34 Check Facebook and read something funny the hubs wrote. I love him.
Talk myself out of digging out the candy.
2:38 Check on Norah- she gets up if she is still awake. SHE'S ASLEEP! It's a miracle! I tear up a little.
Put sheets on our bed.
Swap our laundry- has the man's stinky workout clothes in it. He is so gross.
Finish cleaning up the table and kitchen from lunch. Load dishwasher. It is almost full- I hate that!
Fold the laundry.
Wipe down bathrooms.
Quick straighten up of rest of the house... I have 15 minutes!!! Yea!
Work on my blog site- realize I have no idea what I am doing. The hubs is good at that sort of thing- one reason I love him so much- will do when he gets home.
3:30 Wake up kiddos- they are in especially good moods. We all end up in the princess's bed- lots of laughs, hugs, and kisses.
4:00 Watch "Jack Jack Attack" and "Boundin'" (4 min shorts with the movie they got for Easter, "The Incredibles") for the MILLIONTH time since Sunday. Yea! *sarcasm*
Snack
4:20 Only 40 more minutes... you. can. do. this.
Start getting ready to go outside.
4:57 Actually walk out the door to go play.
5:25 Daddy is home- crash in the hammock- life is good.
7:25 Wake up, my husband is in the shower- ugh! He may be completely unaware of my new resolution to get up and in the shower by 7:00 I made 3 days ago (that I may or may not make at least every 2 weeks). I made it when I had to have a show down with the gas man in my pajamas at 11:00 in the morning... if that doesn't humble you, then... well, we are just birds of a different feather. The man IS aware that I asked him to get me up at 7:00. I may kill him.
Start my 5 minute Psalm devotional.
7:40 Wake up again. Quick, "I'm sorry God for falling asleep on You... again" prayer
Brush teeth
Take sheets off the bed to wash- not part of my normal routine, but we have been sick with a nasty cold/sinus funk for several days. The 4 yr old blew her nose on my sheets 3 days ago and I just now feel well enough to care- gross, but true.
7:50 Head to go get in shower... Get distracted by laundry- swap out load. Hear kids.
Crawl in bed with the 4 yr old where she lets me rub her back until she is through, rolls over, gives me a sly look and a quick hug that she uses to slide out of bed with. I'll take what I can get from that one.
Crawl in bed with 2 yr old- lots of sweet hugs, kisses, and back scratching. Favorite quotes from this snuggle session: "hey you." "you could scratch *lifts back of shirt*" and "love you best"
8:10 Hubs cooking- he probably feels guilty.
Quick shower- I'm careful not to announce.
8:22 Sit down to breakfast- My husband truly is wonderful.
2 yr old takes 1/2 of my toast and 1/2 my sausage.
Daddy gone to work.
Put on my make-up. I'm on a roll!
Serious discussion with the 4 yr old going on 16 yr old over the use of less vs least.
Show down with boy child over eating stolen cheese toast.
Get out coffee cup- stop potential melt down with the fairy princess over her blanket lovingly named "Ball Animal"- I thought she was angry that it was in the washer. Apparently "she" was not finished reading her book- shame on me for not asking her first.
9:00 Boy Child spills milk on his very last drink.
Change his clothes and diaper- he finds a book for me to read while I am throwing the clothes in the hamper and diaper in the trash.
Read book and, as if on cue at the conclusion, I hear, "Momma, I'm done" from the bathroom.
Finish cleaning up breakfast.
Brew coffee. While coffee going, the dynamic duo both bring in books to read. As we sit down, I smell the boy... change diaper. He then refuses to put on the jeans that he just insisted on wearing... not worth it... new shorts.
9:20 Sit down to read books... they somehow keep multiplying, it's a miracle... coffee smells good.
9:35 Fix coffee while helping 2 yr old get out foam blocks
Glad I hid the Easter candy yesterday- even though I know where it is, I have to dig it out and I am rarely alone for more then 2 min.- not long enough to dig it out and eat it without getting caught. Yesterday... well, I may need to actually go buy them some more. I didn't feel good- don't judge me.
9:40 Sit down with now lukewarm coffee- dare the kids to even look at me...
Stare into space thinking nothing. Mindlessly look at Facebook. *Heaven*
9:49 Enter 2 yr old in princess hat and Cinderella shoes crying over the foam blocks.
Break up fight over foam blocks. Coffee break officially over.
![]() |
| Grady Scott! (excuse quality- with my phone. Couldn't find the camera all day) |
10:00 We are all dressed and ready to head to the library (including putting the jeans back on the 2yr old). I have my keys, diaper bag with diapers, wipes, change of clothes, and sanitizers of all sorts, phone, purse.... no library books.
Round up library books from all walks of the house... one missing... 10 minute search with no avail... forget it.
10:10 Start putting on shoes and getting in the van to leave.
10:29 Crank van to leave for library.
10:58 Head to park.
There are two older and pleasant boys here this time- much better than last time when I had to make that approx. 12 yr old almost cry for nearly knocking my baby off the slide. I didn't think the going-on 16 yr old was paying attention until she later told another little girl that she "better be careful riding the tire swing with me. If you hurt me, my momma will me MAD."
Good "lessons" with the 2 yr old about opposites and the word direction and with the 4 yr old on the month of April, the word intentions, and the seasons. I am a champion homeschool mom.
![]() | ||||||||||||||
| Tire swing! Sweet sister and brother. |

11:30 Start to leave park after only 3 falls, approx. 12 ant bites, and no less than 6 heart attacks- those are mine.
11:42 Leave park.
11:45 Get home, wash hands, make a centerpiece for the dining table with our flowers from the park, turn on "Blue's Clues"
Start lunch.
Go to swap out laundry- blankets not dry, restart, ugh.
Realize show kids are watching is about time- regret not noticing this earlier because now I am going to have a million questions from the 4 yr old. Think about how a good homeschool mom wouldn't think that way. I stink at this. No time to worry about it... pork chops are burning.
Clean up foam blocks- regret not taking a picture of the city that was built in my kitchen.
2 yr old comes in- he's hot. Go to change back into shorts- he runs off in his diaper- whatever.
Unload dishwasher
*I read an article once in one of those parenting magazines designed to make us all feel like failures that said never use TV as a babysitter. Those people obviously never had children.
12:05 Husband home for lunch- get to hear some of my favorite sounds: kids giggling, him laughing, him reading books to them, and him having to answer a few of the 9,200 2- and 4-year-old questions I get everyday. Sweet. I love him!
Get a chance to text a friend back from an hour & 1/2 ago.
12:25 Sit down to eat lunch
Remember sheets that need to be dry for "rest time"- get up and swap out laundry
Eat
Put sheets on kid's beds while hubs plays with kids. I hate him.
1:00 Daddy heads back to work- tears by many. Time to get ready for "Rest Time"
In case you have never done this, it is truly a marathon event. You have to be combination drill sergeant, nurturer, clown, counselor, magician, and sandman. I personally think it should be considered an art.
1:30 Kids in bed- 4 yr old in panties and socks, 2 yr old fully dressed (in jeans)- I'll take what I can get. *note to self to uncover hot natured boy child later.
I am exhausted.
During my 3 verses of "Amazing Grace" I have issued 3 warnings for spankings. I feel like such a hypocrite. I lay down on the rug between their beds and consider crying or going to sleep. The boy child leans over his rail and says, "You not feel good mommy?" and offers me his beloved blanket. I kiss him on the forehead and tuck him back in bed where he falls asleep almost immediately.
I say a long, sincere prayer of thanksgiving and shut the door behind me feeling refreshed and smiling.
1:45 I round the corner where 3 loads of laundry to be folded and the lunch mess awaits. *sigh*
I answer another text that has been waiting an hour.
Start another load of laundry and rinse the lunch dishes.
1:55 My precious quiet time with my God.
2:34 Check Facebook and read something funny the hubs wrote. I love him.
Talk myself out of digging out the candy.
2:38 Check on Norah- she gets up if she is still awake. SHE'S ASLEEP! It's a miracle! I tear up a little.
Put sheets on our bed.
Swap our laundry- has the man's stinky workout clothes in it. He is so gross.
Finish cleaning up the table and kitchen from lunch. Load dishwasher. It is almost full- I hate that!
Fold the laundry.
Wipe down bathrooms.
Quick straighten up of rest of the house... I have 15 minutes!!! Yea!
Work on my blog site- realize I have no idea what I am doing. The hubs is good at that sort of thing- one reason I love him so much- will do when he gets home.
3:30 Wake up kiddos- they are in especially good moods. We all end up in the princess's bed- lots of laughs, hugs, and kisses.
4:00 Watch "Jack Jack Attack" and "Boundin'" (4 min shorts with the movie they got for Easter, "The Incredibles") for the MILLIONTH time since Sunday. Yea! *sarcasm*
Snack
4:20 Only 40 more minutes... you. can. do. this.
Start getting ready to go outside.
4:57 Actually walk out the door to go play.
5:25 Daddy is home- crash in the hammock- life is good.
![]() |
| Norah! |





I love it! So glad you have a blog. I am just impressed with the way you remembered it all in detail, I am pretty sure my memory is deteriorating with my kids growing. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI need to comment on yours because I just love yours too. I had to make notes all day! There is no way I could remember a tenth of this without it!
Delete