I can be a scrooge at Christmas. Yes, me.
Bubbly, polite, smiley, Jesus-loving Kristy gets annoyed at all the
hubbub and commercialism that now surrounds it all. It takes a LOT to get me in
the Christmas spirit before Thanksgiving.
Especially after the Christmas season we had last year, but I am already
there this year. Let me tell how God is
already working on my heart preparing me for this season:
Thought #1:
Norah, my second grader, and I have been studying Creation/Adam and Eve in her
Bible study this week. Grady, 5, has been
hanging around and asked some questions yesterday that were so good and
insightful that it makes me wonder if God wasn't whispering to his heart too.
Why did God make Adam in the first place?
Why did God make Adam work?
Why did he make the tree of knowledge of good and evil? If He just didn't make the tree, then Eve and
Adam wouldn't have eaten from it.
This lead to more discussion with Brandon after the kids went to bed.
God knew they would eat from it. He knew they would, and He
made it anyway. He KNEW they would
question Him and rebel from Him and let sin enter His perfect creation, and He
made it anyway. He knew from before Adam breathed his first breath that He
would eventually have to die to save us from it. Wow.
I think about when I was pregnant with Norah. I would lay in bed each night toward the end
of my pregnancy and do my nightly “kick count.”
I had to get 10 kicks in 60 minutes.
She usually gave them to me in less than 5, but that was the longest 5
minutes of my life every. single. night.
I KNEW I would die for that baby, if that’s what it took, before I ever
saw her face.
Matthew 7:11If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
Thought #2
Again, Norah’s school work reminded me of a truth I have
long since known to be true. She is
reading (listening to) a book set in the middle ages and focused around a
wealthy nobleman’s son that, with great misfortune, is left alone and
paralyzed. A monk comes to care for him and
after several weeks takes him to the chapel and instructs him to pray. He is to “be thankful for all thou hast” and
pray for safety of his father at war, his mother in service, and his
healing. The monk turns to go and the
boy is left to his thoughts. He can’t
possibly pray like the monk said. He is
too angry and thinks God has surely forgotten him. What does he have to be thankful for? He decides to be thankful anyway, and to his
surprise, the prayers come afterwards.
My grandmother has said this to me on several occasions and
I’m here to testify, it works. If you
have anger or sadness or grief or are just plain ole grumpy, start thanking God
for all your blessings and suddenly the other stuff starts to melt away. (I
guess I’m in the Thanksgiving Spirit too! Ha!)
Here’s where it all
comes together:
I've been humming the chorus to “Jesus Saves” since we sang
it this Sunday morning and decided I needed to look up the lyrics so I could
sing the whole thing. Let me tell you
(all 6 of you taking the time to get this far. Ha!) I had a worship service right there in my
kitchen cleaning up the breakfast dishes.
No lie. I know all these
facts. I’m the one teaching them to my
kids, but it all came flooding over me with a force that cannot be put into
words. Here’s the song in case you've
never heard it:
NO. Even if you have heard it, go back and listen again while reading the lyrics. I’m serious.
For those of you that can’t get the link to work, here’s the
lyrics. I tried to post just a few and
couldn't pick.
Hear the heart of Heaven
beating, Jesus saves Jesus saves
and the hush of mercy breathing Jesus saves Jesus saves
Hear the Host of angels sing glory to the new born King
and the sounding joy repeating, Jesus saves
and the hush of mercy breathing Jesus saves Jesus saves
Hear the Host of angels sing glory to the new born King
and the sounding joy repeating, Jesus saves
See the humblest hearts adore him, Jesus saves Jesus saves
and the wisest bow before him, Jesus saves Jesus saves
See the sky alive with praise, melting darkness in its blaze
There is light forevermore in Jesus saves
He will live, our
sorrow sharing, Jesus saves Jesus saves
He will die our burdens bearing, Jesus saves Jesus saves
It is done will shout the cross, Christ has paid redemption's cost
While the empty tomb's declaring, Jesus saves
He will die our burdens bearing, Jesus saves Jesus saves
It is done will shout the cross, Christ has paid redemption's cost
While the empty tomb's declaring, Jesus saves
Freedom's calling,
chains are falling, hope is dawning bright and true
Day is breaking, night is quaking, God is making all things new
Day is breaking, night is quaking, God is making all things new
Jesus saves
Oh to grace how
great a debtor, Jesus saves Jesus saves
Are the saints who shout together, Jesus saves Jesus saves
Rising up so vast and strong, lifting up salvation's song
The redeemed will sing forever, Jesus saves
Are the saints who shout together, Jesus saves Jesus saves
Rising up so vast and strong, lifting up salvation's song
The redeemed will sing forever, Jesus saves
This may not sound like a Christmas song to you, but it will be blasting at my house all season long and we’ll be singing it around my Christmas tree!
Thank you God for loving
us and being willing to die for us before we were ever even created! Thank you does not seem like enough. I wish there were stronger words to express
what’s on my heart. Thank you for
leaving Heaven to come to earth as a baby.
Thank you for living life as a man and bearing man’s burdens, including
all of our sin. Thank you for dying as our sacrifice and conquering death by rising
again on the third day! Thank you for knowing that that was the plan all along.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:
Post a Comment